DevGAMM Lisbon 2023 took place on November 16-17 in sunny Cascais, Portugal, marking several firsts: the event’s debut at Europe’s westernmost point, its first time along the Atlantic coast, the introduction of VIP ticket experiences, a speaker lineup like never before, and a special celebration for the conference’s 15th anniversary.
We were happy to welcome over 620 attendees, exceeding expectations for our first event in a new country. With 44% attendees from Portugal, the remaining 56% represented 43 different countries
DevGAMM Lisbon 2023 was a true celebration of game development, featuring an impressive lineup of industry leaders, including such legends as Warren Spector from OtherSide Entertainment, Jonathan Blow from Thekla, Inc, Ilari Kuittinen from Housemarque, as well as speakers from Riot Games, Ubisoft, Guerrilla, CD Projekt Red, Amanita Design, Redhill Games, Meta, tinyBuild, Rive, Kwalee, Outfit7, ROCKFISH Games, and many more.
Stay tuned for the session recordings that will be published on our YouTube channel.
The meeting area was bustling with 880 scheduled business meetings logged in the PINE meeting system.
The Expo Area was the place to explore special activities provided by our sponsor companies, such as eGamesLab, Rive, tinyBuild, Mobihunter, and APVP.
VIP and BUSINESS ticket holders enjoyed the exclusive Business Lounge, providing privacy, comfortable sofas, and additional catering.
Sponsored by Elephant Games, Roundtable discussions, covering crucial topics like R&D, navigating financial downturns, ADHD, and the impact of AI on jobs, were available on both conference days. The updated lunch format for this activity proved to be highly popular.
Early birds took advantage of our Chat & Breakfast activity, where strangers became friends over coffee, choosing conversation topics from the cards provided.
The Indie X Awards Ceremony recognized remarkable achievements in the indie game scene, both locally in Portugal and globally. Check out the winners on the website.
Our signature Public Pitch made a comeback with five developers vying to impress our expert jury. Sponsored by Xsolla Funding and hosted by Borys Trienin, the fun show featured a jury panel including Alex Nichiporchik from tinyBuild, Nathan Sölbrandt from Xsolla, and Itai Edry from Miniclip.
After an exciting competition, the winners were decided. Congratulations to the Ex Tenebris team for their game Crab Raid Tactics, and a special shoutout to Stefan Sadchikov for delivering the best pitch of the evening.
DevGAMM Lisbon introduced its first-ever VIP events, fittingly held in the breathtaking location by the Atlantic Ocean.
VIP & Speakers Reception by Scorewarrior kickstarted a conference journey the day before the event, and let the guests reconnect with old friends, forge new connections, and meet the speakers.
VIP Dinner by Epic Games took place at a historic hotel in a stunning location. VIPs and invited guests savored a 3-course meal while being treated to a special performance by local fado artists.
Last but not least, the event venue, Oitavos, was conveniently located near picturesque golf fields. This provided a perfect opportunity for a Golf Masterclass, catering to both inexperienced and pro golfers. The foggy weather added a touch of perfection to the scene.
The Main Party took place in a stunning marina in the heart of the old city, right under the lighthouse. Attendees enjoyed a warm night filled with drinks and pleasant conversations, dressed in blue and white to celebrate the true colors of Portuguese game development.
The 15th birthday celebration of DevGAMM concluded with a giant cake at the closing ceremony! The event wrapped up with champagne toasts, farewell hugs, and many words of gratitude from the thankful attendees.
All in all, this event was a blast. Fingers crossed, but we have a good feeling that DevGAMM will be back in sunny Portugal in 2024.
Special thanks to the sponsors, partners, volunteers, speakers, moderators, and everyone who contributed to making DevGAMM Lisbon 2023 such an amazing conference.
Stay tuned for the next chapter – DevGAMM Gdansk 2024, on February 28-29. Get ready for another round of game development excellence in Poland!